Assistant Professor of Instruction Search
Joint Legal Studies/American Studies Assistant Professor of Instruction at Northwestern University 2020-2022
This search is now closed. Thank you for your interest.
Northwestern University is hiring an Assistant Professor of Instruction to be appointed jointly in the Legal Studies program and the American Studies program. This is a full-time, benefits eligible position with a path to promotion. The initial contract is for two years.
The Assistant Professor of Instruction will offer six courses per year (generally two per quarter) on topics pertaining to Legal Studies and American Studies. The successful candidate will teach the American Studies thesis seminar and the Legal Studies thesis seminar in rotation and will teach an introductory course in Law & Society. Other courses offered would be a mix of seminars and lectures in the area of the successful candidate’s interests.
We are seeking a scholar whose work is rooted in both Legal Studies and American Studies; we encourage candidates with a PhD in Legal Studies, American Studies, or a related humanities or social science discipline to apply. A J.D. is preferred but not required. We are particularly interested in candidates whose work addresses racial and/or gender inequality and engages crime, policing, and/or incarceration, but will consider other areas of focus as well.
This is a nine-month faculty appointment, and applicant must have a Ph.D. in hand by September 1, 2020. Applicants should submit a cover letter describing their research interests and teaching experience, a current CV, and the names of two references. (Short-listed candidates will be asked to provide teaching evaluations. References of short-listed candidates will be contacted to provide letters of recommendation.) Applications received by April 24, 2020 will receive full consideration; interviews with finalists will be conducted remotely. The successful applicant will begin Fall 2020.
For further information about this position please contact Ann Kelchner at email@example.com or 847-467-2207. An application link can be found below.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.
For more information, please see the University’s Policy on Discrimination and Harassment at https://www.northwestern.edu/equity/policies-procedures/policies/policy-discrimination-harassment.html.
Please read ALL instructions and make preparations before proceeding to the application page:
- Applications will only be accepted via online submission (link below).
- Please prepare all documents in advance as Adobe PDF files, and please be sure all information is entered correctly and accurately (especially names and email addresses), as there will be no opportunity for online revision after your application has been submitted.
- Please also prepare a list of names and email addresses for your external academic references. Should you be on the short list, your references will be contacted directly by the online system and invited to upload their letters on your behalf.
- All required fields in the application form are marked with an asterisk and must be filled out before clicking the "Submit" button.
- Be aware that incomplete applications cannot be saved.
Applications should be submitted no later than April 24, 2020.
Applications are now closed.
Applicants will hear back from us in the coming days. Thank you for your patience.
Please contact Ann Kelchner firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Back to top